Wednesday, June 4, 2014

WHEW What a crazy past couple of days! Flying to Narita, meeting all the trainees, spending the last 20 minutes trying to log into webs.com...then realizing my blog was on blogger not webs. Idiot.

We have 18 trainees crammed into a cool Japanese-hostel type building. All these young energetic crazy soon-to-be teachers are a blast! We don't mean to brag but we consider ourselves pretty sensei-sational... har har. I hope my sister enjoys that pun.

Last night I was on a mission to go to this small local Soba restaurant. I spent like an hour talking about eating cold noodles and just generally obsessing over this restaurant. A small Japanese woman was running the entire restaurant it seemed. She seated us, took our orders, then disappeared into the kitchen until our food started coming out. I decided that if I learn any kanji, it should be the food kanji! Definitely the most practical. Here's a picture of my delightful cold soba! It hit the spot like none other.
Today we went to this awesome Ramen shop in Omiya! 
 You had to order outside with this weird vending machine type thing. You entered the money then it printed your meal ticket which you gave to the server. Pretty strange. I got nervous and just chose exactly what my friend chose since I couldn't read anything and I knew whatever buttons he pushed worked out haha.
After the delicious boutao (?) special of fresh ramen, strange mushrooms, pork, and a killer broth we waddled down to the Omiya Shrine. We partook in some rituals (cleansing of the hands and mouth before entering the shrine and an offering in which you clap once, throw your coin in the vessel, make a wish, and clap twice..or something like that) 
Front of Omiya Shrine. 

 Making an offering.
Our sensei-tional group :) Minus Brent who took the photo and the other weenies who didn't come.. just kidding.. 
Next week and a half are hardcore training! Hopefully I have time to do some more fun stuff though!! Everyday is an adventure. 

3 comments:

  1. This was sensei-sational

    -anonmymous

    ReplyDelete
  2. We would like you to know that mokiki survived the move and is sloppy swishing all around the tank. Also we will be reading your adventures liberally. Anddddd we miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Intruder

    -anonymous

    ReplyDelete